Sunday 15 July 2012

Beet and Apple Salad

Walking through the Milton, Ontario, Farmers Market yesterday with my son "the gardener" was very inspirational. We received a lesson on edible zucchini flowers and saw all kinds of wonderful local fruits and vegetables. The vendors are very personable and friendly. Their is a local Beef farmer who sells his locally grown beef cuts frozen. I tried the "Skirt steak" at $4.99/lb and it was delicious and the meat quality excellent. He also sells dog bones and treats, like dried kidneys or liver that I purchased for $2.00 to $5.00 and my dogs went crazy over them. They are naturally smoked and slow cooked over wood burning coals with no additives. They smelled so good I almost ate one myself. The cupcake outlet was very popular with the kids, with a variety of regular and mini-size colourful, sprinkles on top, fresh made cupcakes. The bakery outlets I avoided and just didn't tempt me enough to break my fast of wheat flour. The beets and fresh picked peaches and cream corn caught my eye and I handed over some about $10.00  to a very appreciative young man who probably had something to do with growing them. The same vendor sold baskets of assorted vegetables for $7.00 and had carrots, potatoes, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, zucchini and beans, all mixed  up with a variety choices to pick from. This was a great idea for the  single or two person household.

We left with our goods and promised to come back again as it was a pleasant and educational experience for a bright and sunny Saturday morning.

I will be making one of my favourite salads with the fresh beets and have provided it below for those who want to try something different. The vendor and I exchanged recipe ideas and she told me she bakes the beets wrapped in tinfoil with a bit of oil rubbed on the unpeeled beet skin. I suppose that would work on the BBQ too. I said I was going to make my Beet and Apple salad, which she had not heard of and would try.

Here is my recipe for the Beet Salad:

5 Beets, Whole with skin on. boiled in water with a pinch of salt for about 1 hour.
5 Granny Smith Apples - Cut with skin on in 1-2" cubes and sprinkled with a bit of lemon juice
4oz Balsamic Vinegar
4oz Olive Oil
1 tsp sugar
Toss with your favourite fresh herbs or eat it plain. I add Fresh Basil and Rosemary leaves.

Cook the beets for an hour covered with boiling water or until you can stick a knife through them easily.
Let cool and peel the skins, and cut into 1-2" cubes.  Combine with the diced apples, vinegar, oil, sugar and herbs and let sit 4 hours to marinate.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment